So this year I did a thing. I learned how to grow potatoes in containers. Yep, it’s my first time because of my small garden space. My garden plan didn’t originally include potatoes because I didn’t think I had room. But after a lot of research, hours of reading and video watching later I decided maybe I should give growing potatoes in containers a shot. They have taken off like a crazy! I’m so excited to see my happy potato plants growing in those tubs.
You can use any deep container you want to as long as you follow a few simple principles:
- Start with about 4 or so inches of soil in the bottom
- plant your starts (chits) chits up!
- use good organic fertilizer
- water often but don’t keep the soil to wet
- as the plants grow, add more soil several times until you reach the top of the container
- once the soil layers get to the top, cover with straw to keep moisture in and weeds out
Pretty simple huh?
I’ve added several more taller round tubs of potatoes since I made this video. You can see the first tub I planted in my last garden tour
Watch the video and learn step by step how easy it really is to grow potatoes in containers!
Thanks so much for watching! I hope you’ll subscribe to my You Tube Channel and follow along as my garden continues to expand and grow with the seasons. I’ll keep adding new things all summer and to plant cold season crops in the fall so keep watching!
You may also enjoy:
Gardening books and tools I recommend:
Raised Bed Gardening For Beginners https://amzn.to/2M95LK7
Small Space Gardening https://amzn.to/3cixOS2
Garden Genie Gloves https://amzn.to/2TS6sMb
Sun Joe Garden Cultivator (mini roto-tiller, you need one!) https://amzn.to/2XGDQXB